April 9, 2011

Sing Like a Frisbee

Yesterday, I came to a profound realization, and I hope you don't mind if I share it with you. Well, if you do mind, why on earth are you reading my blog??? Anyway, I realized that the title of my blog is "When the Solange Sings." Great sleuthing, Solange, any half-wit with eyes could have told you that! Well, by the title, yes. But yesterday I realized that I had totally forgotten my purpose for even writing a blog; my goal was to share with the unsuspecting public my journey through music (and a bit of my trip through the craziness of the collegiate world). So as of today, I will try to limit the randomness that occurs here on "When the Solange Sings" and speak more about the music-ness that's going on here. Don't worry! I didn't say my sassy commentary on the rest of the world would cease entirely! You're more than welcome to have your cake, and eat it too, but I feel like I need to better document my journey as a singer rather than documenting my crazy sassiness and creative ideas all the time. Kapeesh?

So, it begins here.

Obviously, today is Saturday. Now, that can only mean either one of two things: I'm either sleeping or I'm at Starbucks nomming down on a Cranberry Orange Scone and an Iced Coffee with sooooy while at the same time attempting to study for religion, French, and any of those other silly classes I'm required to take. Guess which one I'm attempting right now?? And now guess what I am successfully failing at...

It is really going to be quite a beautiful Saturday today, quite the perfect day to play Frisbee. Shame I'll be stuck inside all day studying and practicing. Speaking of Frisbee... During my lesson yesterday, Soon Cho and I realized that the way to get my breath support just right, I have to think about throwing a Frisbee off into the distance of the clear, blue, beautiful sky. Really, I just made that last little bit about the sky up, but it is literally amazing what thinking about something as random as Frisbee can do to one's tone quality. On a happier note, I finally mastered the stupid I mean wonderful French in "Beau Soir." Ridiculous, I know, but I've been working on it like crazy for almost 4 weeks!! So much, in fact, that I've neglected to work on any of my other pieces for my final jury, which, by the way, is my Level I, so I absolutely HAVE to do well in order to go on to the onety-fourth grade. (Sophomore in college for those of you who have never seen an episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies." Which, if you haven't, go watch one NOW. You won't regret it!)

Annnnnd this is the part of the post where I realize that I've literally spent two hours working on this blog/goofing around on Etsy/creeping on Facebook and that I should probably feast my eyes on some Thomas Grubb (his book, his book!!! Not him, he's gross...) and learn a little bit more about singing in French. Blech YAY!!!!! My favorite!!

1 comment: