April 10, 2011

Rise, You Dead People!!

Alright. I am fully aware that it is not October 31, and that dead people (either real or fake) will not be rising out of the ground anytime soon, but yes, the title of this post is calling the musty, moth-eaten bodies up from six-feet under. Why, you ask? Great question. When poorly-timed music puns and awkward lyrics come out to play, there can only be one logical explanation:

CHOIR CONCERT

Today was the day of the Spring Semester Concert for the Women's Choir at this fab university I attend. We performed this great little piece by this guy you may have heard of. Which one? Oh, you know, that "Place of the Blest" by that chap Randall Thompson. NoBigDeal. We just invited the Campus Orchestra to come and join us up on stage (they took up far more than their fair share of it...) and to revel in our glory. The Baylor Bronze hand bell choir and Bella Voces select women's chorus also made guest appearances, performing this nifty little duo Vivos Vocos, English: Rise Living! Really an awesome, awesome piece. If I can find a recording of us singing it, I will be sure to post it on here for all of you to enjoy, though I doubt an audio or video recording can do it much justice (WARNING! Music Major Moment Ahead!!!) the overtone sequence throughout the work is just stellar, something only the most advanced recording technology could pick up, probably. As those old geezers no one ever listens to say: ain't nothing like the real thing!

...well maybe that's just me. Congratulations, we've just affirmed that I am, in fact, a grandma. Moving on...

So it was a great concert, both of my ensembles performed (no, I'm not biased!) and it was a fun time had by all. Sort of. Really, I hate concerts of the choral variety. Not because I hate choir, but because I always get stuck next to the people who find it necessary to sway and undulate to the music. Now, I honestly have no earthly idea why they feel the need to do this. Honestly, the notes and diction won't get better if you throw your body every which-way while singing. All that's going to do is distract the audience and make the poor girl next to you (me) have to dodge your every move. Doesn't exactly make for a pleasant afternoon of singing, does it?


Here's a loverly photo of my choral friends to send you off with. Aren't we puuurty?

In other news: today was the best frannnnn's birthday! No, I did not make her a cake. Yes, I did post a picture of cat ladies on her Facebook and spent the rest of the day cracking really lame old person/cat lady jokes. Love you, hanaaaaa!

Keep it klassy, kiddoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment