April 16, 2011

Awesome...

If you care to know how epically awesome my life is, wrap your mind around this:

I had an alright lesson on Friday. Nothing to terribly bad, but Prof. Cho found a whole bunch of spots in my music that I have been singing incorrectly all semester and I just got really frustrated with myself and such. But, I did have a fair amount of break-throughs as far as my technique goes. All lesson, all I could think about was how excited I was to get my CD and listen to it over breakfast on Saturday morning (today). After my lesson, when I went to take my CD out of Cho's CD recording-device-thingie, I saw "00:00" on the little screen that shows how much time has elapsed on the recording.

I had forgotten to press "PLAY" after I hit the "RECORD" button.

So now I feel really, really dumb. And I don't have a lesson to listen to. Epic fail on my part. But, there is a glimmer of hope in such a desperate situation. I tend to take pretty stellar notes on my practice log during my lessons, so I was able to still retain my theme for the week.

Just so you know, each week when I'm practicing I give myself a "theme." This theme can range anywhere from not gasping for air to making sure my body is properly aligned while I'm singing. By just giving myself one general theme a week, I've discovered that my mind gets less cluttered while I'm singing and that I get less frustrated with myself because my "theme" is generally something that is highly attainable. I guess you could say that I take one baby step a week (sometimes two if I'm doing really well) and by the end of the semester I've progressed a lot and I feel happier with myself. Seriously, y'all should try it out sometime.

Anyway, my illustrious theme for this week is:  *drum roll please*

Put more speaking voice into the singing voice!

So enlightening, I know. But, as I discovered on Friday, if I think about speaking rather than singing, the core of my sound is so much more present, there is no air in my tone, and my vowels are so much better. It was a pretty rad discovery (thanks Pro. Cho!). This is going to be a week of serious butt-busting on my part; juries are only 3 weeks away!!!

I was also told this week to sing like a cannon? Much more violent than it's Frisbee counterpart...

No comments:

Post a Comment