June 12, 2011

Rain On the Mown Grass

"He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth."
Psalms 72:6

This verse is ironic for one reason and one reason only: it was because of the rain that our grass did not get "mown." BUT, more importantly, it did rain. And the rain was much needed, but it certainly did not rain enough to even dampen the cracked dirt and burnt grass that I currently call my yard. Can I get a "Woo-hoo!" for droughts, y'all? Even thought it rained, and the rain was less than satisfactory, I did get some rockin pictures of the plants in the rain! Check it:




Totally tubular, right? Okay, not really. But honestly, if you hadn't seen rain in months, you'd be pretty excited, too!

In other news, I got really bored on Friday morning and the empty fridge was laughing at my grumbling tummy, so naturally I decided to bake Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’. The recipe's all there (I'm far to lazy to type it out for you, but a big thanks to Angela for being a vegan baker who likes to share. Mad props.) but I made a few "modifications." By modifications, I mean I didn't use anything healthy and they're hardly vegan. I have a boat load of whole wheat flour a mi casa, but no whole wheat PASTRY flour, so I just made do with the all-purpose version. Plus, I wasn't going to send my very southern father out on a wild goose chase for non-dairy butter, so I just whimpered a little and added in the real thing for the frosting. But it was only half a stick, so that's not too bad, right? Anyway, let the pictures commence!

This is zee batter. Or, most of it. This is actually all of the wet ingredients post being mixed together. You can't even tell that there aren't any eggs in there because the vinegar adds the bubbly that eggs are usually used for!

Zee actual batter. With the chocolate powder and stuff. And by stuff, I mean all the other ingredients.


The cupcakes, fresh from the oven. Not gonna lie to you, they smelled disgusting. Imagine a cocktail of vinegar and chocolate. Throw up a little in your mouth. That's the smell.


Finally! The finished product. Don't it look purty? Okay, maybe not. But a girl can try. I'm not sure how they taste, because I haven't had one yet *gasp*, but my parents and BabyBrother all confirm that they taste awesome for something that is sorta-vegan. Sorta.

Before I wrap this sucker up, I feel like I should inform you all that I took the month of May off from singing to recover mentally and physically from a grueling semester. That month has turned in to a month and a half. I have promised myself that I'll start practicing on Monday after my English class, and then I'll probably feel better about my self and won't feel the need to bake so much in order to fill the empty void that was singing. But don't hold me to it.

Keep it classy and cool!

P.S. Cho, if you're reading this, I've been practicing for 3 hours a day, every day since school let out. No breaks for this little sangar! (My dad's word, not mine...)

No comments:

Post a Comment